This delectable little carrot cakes recipe is ideal for every upcoming Easter celebration. Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio have created these adorable filled with classic cream cheese frosting and studded with mini carrots!
Makes 6 mini cakes
– 320g plain flour
– 1½ tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– ¾ tsp ground ginger
– ½ tsp nutmeg
– 200ml light olive oil
– 220g Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 250g grated carrots
– 60g chopped walnuts
– 70g white chocolate drops
– 70g Siúcra Caster Sugar
– 60g shelled pistachios
– 100g cream cheese
– 100g butter, softened
– 350g Siúcra Icing Sugar
– 1 lemon, zest only
– 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
– 100g Siúcra Ready Roll Out Fondant
– Orange fool colouring paste
– 6 small sprigs of rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
2. Line a 32cm x 23cm rectangle baking tray with baking parchment.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bread soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a large bowl and set aside.
4. Whisk the oil, Siúcra Brown Sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together in the bowl.
5. Pour the oil sugar mixture into the flour and the spices and fold to combine.
6. Fold in the grated carrots, walnuts and white chocolate in the mix.
7. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 to 35 minutes until the cake is cooked (test with a skewer – when inserted, it should out clean). The cake must be completely cold before decorating.
1. Line a tray with baking parchment.
2. Heat the Siúcra Caster Sugar in a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat until liquid but not amber, remove from the heat and add the pistachios and fold gently.
3. Spread out evenly on baking parchment and leave to set and then chop them fairly finely.
1. Add the cream cheese and butter into a mixer and whisk while adding Siúcra Icing Sugar, lemon zest and vanilla bean paste.
2. Whisk well until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag, ready to use.
1. Colour a piece of Siúcra Ready Roll Fondant with orange food paste and shape into 6 little carrots.
1. Using a round scone cutter, ensure that you will get 12 circles out of the cake before you cut the shapes.
2. Trim to level and lay 6 circles of cake out, snip the piping bag and pipe on each, place the next layer on top.
3. Spoon some chopped pistachios over the top and place a carrot on top of each cake, add a rosemary sprig for the leaves.
4. Transfer to your cake stand or platter.
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.