There’s nothing quite like a warming stew. It’s no secret that I have a love affair with my slow cooker – I just love the way it transforms even less-popular cuts of meat into restaurant-worthy meals and this Moroccan beef stew recipe is no exception. If you fancy a change, this works just as well with lamb.
– 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
– 2 red onions, finely sliced
– 3 tsp ground cumin
– 2 tsp ground coriander
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– ½ tsp cayenne
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– ½ tsp turmeric
– 500ml beef stock or chicken stock
– 400g stewing beef or lamb, cut into inch cubes
– 2 carrots, cut lengthways, into 5cm chunks
– 100g green beans
– grated zest of 1 lemon
– 50g toasted pine nuts
Spiced tahini yoghurt
– 3 tbsp tahini
– 150g Greek yogurt
– juice of ½ lemon (2 tbsp)
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– ½ tsp chilli flakes
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh
– mint leaves, plus extra for serving
– salt, to taste
1. Heat the oil or butter in a pan, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, garlic and turmeric and a few tablespoons of the stock – to prevent the spices burning. Stir well for 30 seconds until fragrant, then add in the meat and brown it for 30 seconds.
3. Throw in the carrots and pour in the remaining stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer and cook with the lid on for 1½ hours. After this time, add in the green beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. To make the tahini yogurt, mix the ingredients together well with a pinch of salt.
5. Finish off the beef by sprinkling it with the lemon zest and pine nuts and serve with a dollop of tahini yogurt and some extra fresh mint leaves.
Ready, Steady, Glow is a book of two halves offering weekday recipes that can be made in less than 30 minutes, alongside sumptuous show-stopping meals perfect for the weekend. All recipes are wheat- and sugar-free, bursting with flavour and nutritional value, and contain natural ingredients that can be found in your local supermarket.
Recipes from Madeleine Shaw’s READY, STEADY, GLOW! Fast, Fresh Food Designed for Real Life, published by Orion in hardback & eBook, priced £20/£10.99.
Photography: Martin Poole, Ellis Parrinder