Spice up your breakfast with some Middle Eastern flavours. You’ll find merguez (spiced lamb sausages) at your local halal butcher. One of my favourites, they’re a bit like lamb- flavoured chorizo.
We love Moroccan food and, of course, Moroccan surf. It’s a fantastic country to explore, with warmer water, waves and stacks of colour and culture. It’s easy on the wallet, too. Add it to your list of places to visit if you haven’t already been there.
Now back to these eggs…
– 6 eggs
– 6 tbsp organic plain yoghurt (hold back 2 to serve)
– 2 tsp olive oil
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder
– 4 merguez sausages
– 2 thick slices of artisan bread, toasted
– Cherry tomatoes, to serve
– Spiced hazelnut dukkah, to serve (we make our own and sell it in Shells Little Shop, but it can be bought in good supermarkets)
– Cumin, grated garlic and salt (optional)
1. The secret here is slow-cooking the eggs in bain-marie style (a bit like melting chocolate).
2. To do this bring a pot of water to boil, then in a separate metal/ glass bowl beat the eggs, yogurt and a large pinch of salt together. Add the cumin and chilli powder. Then place the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water.
3. Stir slowly with a spatula or wooden spoon. The trick is to slowly scrape the egg mixture and fold it back in, rather than actually stir. You are trying to form large egg chunks.
4. Drizzle in olive oil as you go (roughly 1⁄2 a teaspoon at a time).
5. Meanwhile pan fry the sausages until they are browned, then place the
cherry tomatoes into the pan with them.
6. Pop the pan into a hot oven to cook for a further 10 minutes.
7. Serve the sausage and scramble on hot buttered toast.
8. Top with the dukkah and the tomatoes.
9. If you want to go the extra step, mix some cumin, grated garlic and salt into the leftover yogurt and spoon onto the eggs. Salty yogurt sounds weird, but it cuts through the grease and is really popular in Middle Eastern culture.
Inspired by travel, surfing and a healthy outdoors lifestyle, the Good Vibes Cookbook published by Orca Publications is the latest publication by the authors of the Surf Café Cookbook and Shells Café.
Packed with delicious, nutritious recipes using ‘clean’ foods, it beckons you to enjoy vibrant, tasty dishes that are good for you.
From dawn to dusk there’s some great recipes in this cookbook to inspire you!