This octopus tapas recipe is flavoured with two true tastes of Spain, chorizo and Oloroso sherry. Created by Chef JP McMahon, this tapas recipe is the perfect way to enjoy World Tapas Day on June 16th 2016.
– 1 medium sized octopus
– 4 fresh chorizo sausages, chopped into rounds
– 300ml Oloroso sherry
– a small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
– olive oil
– sea salt
1. To cook the octopus: place the octopus in a medium-sized pot and cover with salted cold water. Bring the water to the boil and simmer for 2 hours or until the octopus is tender. Remove the octopus from the water with the aid of a tongs and allow to cool. When the octopus is cool enough to handle, cut the tentacles in 1cm rounds.
2. In a large frying pan, fry the chorizo rounds in some oil. When nicely browned, add the octopus and cook briefly.
3. Pour the sherry into the pan and bring it to the boil. Cook off the alcohol (this will take 2 to 3 minutes) and then add the parsley. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
4. To serve: Divide into four bowls and serve immediately.
JP McMahon is a chef, restaurateur and author. He is culinary director of the EatGalway Restaurant Group, which comprises of Michelin-starred Aniar Restaurant, award-winning Spanish restaurant Cava Bodega, and Eat Gastropub – which has inspired his next cookbook Gastropub Revolution. He also runs the Aniar Boutique Cookery School.
JP is the founder and plays host to one of the biggest and most talked about international food events in Europe, Food On The Edge. The inaugural event took place in Galway in October 2015 with 2016 already causing stir. The event features the best international chefs from across the globe.Director, founding and current chair of the Galway Food Festival, JP is an ambassador for Irish food and a network leader for the global Cook it Raw project. He is also the ambassador for Spanish food in Ireland in particular promoting the wines of Rías Baixas (Galicia) and Jerez.
Recipe taken from Cava Bodega Tapas: A Taste of Spain in Ireland by JP McMahon, available to purchase at RRP €25 from www.cavarestaurant.ie/pages/cookbook.html.
For more information on the EatGalway Restaurant Group visit www.eatgalway.ie.