Old-Fashioned Waffles Recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to get creative in the kitchen as the waffles and mapled bacon are home made.
I first came across maple bacon when I was working in Florida. I came home after a shift to find my housemate cooking. The sweet, nutty, salty aroma that floated from the stove was enough to stop me dead in my tracks and ask where exactly she had bought it and how much it cost.
Sadly, it’s tricky to get pre-mapled bacon outside the US (what is the world coming to?!), so here is a recipe for making your own.
– 310g plain flour
– 2 tbsp caster sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 290ml milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 70ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 16 rashers unsmoked streaky bacon
– 4 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 and preheat a greased waffle iron to a medium heat. If you like your waffles really crispy, then go for a higher heat, but medium should leave you a little crust with a pillowy inside.
2. To make the waffles, put the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a freestanding mixer and mix together well.
3. Whisk the milk, vanilla, oil and eggs together in a jug.
4. Gradually add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones, with the mixer motor running. You should end up with a smooth, fairly thick batter.
5. Spread a ladleful of batter onto the waffle iron, taking care not to overfill it.
6. Close the lid and cook for 6 minutes until golden and crisp. Keep the waffles warm while you cook their relatives.
7. For the maple bacon, place the bacon on a wire rack over a roasting tin and cook for 10–12 minutes in the oven until really crispy.
8. Check the bacon to see if it’s crispy enough (don’t settle for flabby rashers, people), brush all over with the maple syrup and pop back in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Serve the waffles piled high with bacon and doused in more maple syrup.
Taken from Made in the USA by Florence Cornish priced at £18.99. Published by Kyle Books. To buy your copy kylebooks.co.uk