On-the-go Sweet Potato Egg Pots Recipe by Roz Purcell
This sweet potato egg pots recipe is like a healthy hash brown cradling some serious yolk porn!
– Olive or coconut oil, for greasing
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
– 7 eggs
– 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
– 1 tsp ground black pepper
– Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
– 60g feta cheese, cut into small cubes
– Small sprigs of fresh thyme, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a six-hole muffin tin with a little olive or coconut oil.
2. Put the sweet potato in a medium-sized bowl along with one egg, the dried herbs, ground black pepper and lemon zest (if using) and stir to combine.
3. Divide the mixture into six equal portions. Take one portion and press it onto the base and up the sides of one hole of the muffin tin to make a nest. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender.
5. Remove the tin from the oven. Crack one egg into each sweet potato nest, then scatter over the feta. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more, until the eggs are set.
6. Garnish with small sprigs of fresh thyme and serve warm for breakfast, or let them cool before packing as a snack or have two with some leafy greens as a lunchtime salad.
Roz Purcell’s approach to cooking is simple: use whole foods to live a whole life. Having developed a negative relationship with food that led her to make unhealthy choices, she cured herself by rediscovering her love of cooking from scratch. She used her passion for food to experiment with flavours and textures and develop the most amazing recipes that fuel the body, providing the energy and vitality needed to look and feel great.
Roz began blogging at naturalbornfeeder.com in 2013 to document her love of cooking and to share her recipes. Now in her highly-anticipated second cookbook Half Hour Hero, Roz shares delicious recipes that prove whole foods can taste far better than a pre-packaged meal and that cooking from scratch doesn’t have to take hours.
Extracted from Half Hour Hero by Roz Purcell. Half Hour Hero is published by Penguin Ireland and retails at €23. Photography by Joanne Murphy