One-Bowl Peanut Butter Banana Bread Recipe by Darina Coffey
Love baking but hate washing up? My one-bowl peanut butter banana bread recipe is the answer to your prayers. Packed with chocolate chunks, flaked almonds and gooey cinnamon-spiked banana, this beauty requires minimal effort for maximum pleasure return. The best part? This banana bread keeps really well so would make a perfect naughty breakfast treat, if it survives the night!
– 80g peanut oil (sunflower or rapeseed would work but peanut gives the best flavour)
– 60g natural peanut butter
– 4 very ripe bananas
– 3 eggs
– 250g light brown sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 225g self-raising flour
– 100g flaked almonds (optional)
– 150g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks
– 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
– 30g milk chocolate, melted, to serve
Tip: If your bananas aren’t quite black, peel and pop into an oven at 180C for ten minutes to soften and caramelise slightly.
1. Preheat your oven to 180C, grease and line a large loaf tin with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mash your bananas with a fork, leaving slightly chunky. Mix in the peanut butter.
3. Add vanilla, eggs, peanut oil and brown sugar and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
4. Add flour and cinnamon and mix to form a batter.
5. Add chocolate chunks and flaked almonds and mix to disperse.
6. Pour into loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown. A skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf should come out mostly clean, but a little goo is good.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before drizzling some chocolate on top, slicing and serving.
Growing up with the name Darina, I was constantly asked if I could cook like my namesake. With that (and greed) as the ultimate motivators, I quickly realised that home-baked goods make excellent bribes and an obsession was born! With bachelor’s and master’s degrees in law I undertook a PhD, but a preference for cookbooks to textbooks persisted. As a (self-confessed!) demon in the kitchen, I am the only person to have contested both Masterchef and the Great Irish Bake off, which fuelled my desire to set my focus on food in a serious way. Working with The Taste allows me to satiate this craving and marries my food fascination with my love of writing and ranting. Follow me as I share my food adventures and hopefully inspire others to indulge their passion for cooking and food in the process!