This pan roasted goats cheese salad is full of tasty seasonal additions, salt baked beetroot, watercress and asparagus. A perfect summer dish, light and healthy and the colours of the beetroot make it look amazing. Great for a light lunch or a starter to impress your guests.
– 150g hard goats cheese
– Small rainbow beetroot
– 1 bunch of watercress
– 5 asparagus spears
– 1 lemon
– 50ml extra virgin olive oil
– 100g sea salt
1. Wash the beetroot and place on a sheet of tin foil, sprinkle over the salt, wrap up the beetroot in a parcel and bake for 1 hour 30 mins, take out and leave to cool.
2. Peel asparagus and blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds and refresh in cold water.
3. Wash and pat dry your watercress
4. Slice the goats cheese 30cm thick with the skin on the rind
5. Peel your beetroot and slice thinly.
6. Heat a non stick frying pan with no oil till just about smoking, place the goats cheese on the hot pan and cook for 30 seconds or until it becomes crispy. Turn over the goats cheese and take of the heat as the pan will continue to cook through the goats cheese why you dress your plate.
7. Place watercress, beetroot & asparagus in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Squeeze half a lemon and your olive oil over the salad and mix together till nicely dressed. Place your salad on the plate and put your warm goats cheese on top.
I’m a chef who left the restaurant industry at 25 and fell into cooking for celebrities and high profile people, such as Kevin Spacey, Elle Macpherson, Davina McCall, David Walliams, and Elton John. I have cooked in fantastic places all over the World, including New York, Berlin and Sweden. I now want to pass on my knowledge of creative cooking to those who have a passion and love of great food with my recipe design company and through live demonstrations. For more inforamtion visit www.benjaminpattterson.ie.