Add some sunshine to your morning with this summer preserve from Siúcra, which has a wonderful golden colour with dark specks of vanilla. The subtle flavour of the pears is lifted with the vanilla and the combination is both fragrant and sweet.
While the thought of making jam may sound daunting, Siúcra Sure Set Jam Sugar has been specially formulated to ensure a perfect set in minutes.
Enjoy this Pear and Vanilla Jam Recipe stirred into Greek yoghurt or serve with a cheeseboard.
– 500g peeled pears, cuts into pieces
– 200g Siúcra Sure Set Jam Sugar
– 1 vanilla pod
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the pears in a large heavy bottomed pan with the Siúcra Sure Set Jam Sugar.
2. Cook on a medium heat until the pears become soft and tender.
3. Slice down one side of the vanilla pod and scrape out all the innards into the pan.
4. Add the vanilla extract.
5. Boil for 3-10 minutes to reduce it to the right consistency, stirring constantly.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully skim off any foam.
7. Pour the jam into hot, thoroughly cleaned jars, seal and keep cool.
– To prevent contamination and lengthen the shelf life of homemade jams, it’s important to sterilise the storage jars. Wash them in hot, soapy water and rinse well but do not dry. Instead, leave them to stand upside down on a baking sheet while they’re still wet. Pop the tray of clean, wet jars and lids into a preheated oven at 140°C / 120°C fan for approximately 15 minutes.