The 21 finalists for the 2018 S. Pellegrino Young Chef of The Year competition have been revealed ahead of the Grand Finale in May.
Each of the finalists in the global competition will represent their respective geographic regions in the finale round, which takes place from May 11th-13th in Milan, Italy.
This is the third edition of the competition to find the best young chef in the world, with Aniar’s Killian Crowley representing Ireland & the UK.
Killian will be mentored by MBE of Murano London, Angela Hartnett, who will guide the young chef in the run up to the finale.
Speaking about the upcoming competition, Killian commented: “It’s an honour to represent Ireland and UK in this international competition. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to cook opposite some amazing chefs from all over the world and I’m looking forward to the Grand Finale in May already.
“Getting the opportunity to work with Angela as my mentor is a great chance for me and I think her knowledge has been invaluable in preparing me for the final. We’re looking forward to it.”
The 21 S.Pellegrino Young Chef 2018 finalists are:
– Ireland & the UK: Killian Crowley (Aniar – Galway, Ireland)
– Africa & Middle East: Vusumuzi Ndlovu (The Saxon Hotel Villas and Spa – Johannesburg, South Africa)
– BeNeLux: Frederic Chastro (Sõma– Antwerp, Belgium)
– Canada: Benjamin Mauroy-Langlais (Automne – Montréal)
– Central America Caribbean: José Óscar Casimiro Segundo (Ajumú – Guadalajara, Mexico)
– China: Chanwai Poon (Aurora at Shanghai Disney Resort – Shanghai)
– East Europe: Marcin Popielarz (White Rabbit – Gdansk, Poland)
– France: Antonio Buono (Mirazur – Menton)
– Germany & Austria: Falko Weiss (à la Minute – Trier)
– Italy: Edoardo Fumagalli (La Locanda del Notaio – Pellio Intelvi, Como)
– Japan: Yasuhiro Fujio (La Cime – Osaka, Japan)
– Latin America: Elizabeth Puquio Landeo (Ambrosía – Santiago, Chile)
– Mediterranean countries: Constadina Voulgari Kontesopoulou (Pelagos Sea Side – Ierapetra, Greece)
– Northeast Asia: Zih-Yang Chen (VG The Seafood Bar – Taipei, Taiwan)
– Pacific: John Rivera (Amaru – Armadale, Melbourne)
– Russia & CIS: Ruslan Evstigneev (Pushkin – Kazan, Russia)
– Scandinavia & the Baltics: Anton Husa (Upper House Dining – Gothenburg, Sweden)
– Southeast Asia: Jake Kellie (Burnt Ends – Singapore)
– Spain & Portugal: David Andrés (ABaC – Barcelona, Spain)
– Switzerland: Dävid Walti (Eisblume – Worb)
– United States: John Taube (The NoMad Hotel – New York)