Two things that struck us when we walked in to Peploe’s on a Monday lunchtime in mid January was one how inviting and cosy the place is as soon as you walk in and two what a thriving lunch trade they have . Peploe’s design is lot of rich woods and the signature murals painted on the wall , it is clear to see they are a corporate hero as we were surrounded by many business diners. A lot of restaurants in the Celtic Tiger positioned in Stephens Green, have done well to survive and it is clear to see that the levels of consistency and high quality are what bring people back here after 10 years.
We decided to try the 3 course set menu for €29.oo per person. For starters we chose the Chicken Salad with Tahini Sauce, Radish,Pomegranate and yogurt , the dish was a deliciously light plate, full of flavour .The handmade Crab and black Tortellini with Scallops,cherry tomatoes and basil shows there’s nothing quite like the magic of throwing simple ingredients together to create an exciting starter . The black tortellini gave an exceptional bite and was visually striking in the plate.
The special of the day was a pan fried lemon sole with sprouting broccoli, new potatoes , the most fantastic Dublin Bay Prawns all resting in a citrusy lemon butter. A perfect healthy January dish for a lunch , fish was nicely seasoned and the side accompaniments left you feeling very satisfied . However not everyone sticks to their resolutions, so for the second main we chose The Roast Haunch of Wild Venison, with red Cabbage , Fondant Potato, wild mushrooms sauce and cranberries. The cabbage and cranberry mixed with the divine slices of venison were carnivore heaven.
We agreed on a shared dessert of Spiced Chocolate Pear Cake with caramelised pear , pear gelee, creamy mousse and pear sorbet. We think the image says it all , chocolate and pear heaven.
Peploe’s is a restaurant with old school charm mixed with contemporary cuisine, a definite dinner destination we look forward to sampling based on the superb lunch we had here. Clearly we are not alone in thinking this, as we were in fine company of fellow diners such as Hollywood A-lister Aaron Paul from “Breaking Bad” .
This is a Taste not to be missed and one we highly recommend.
– “Grillade de Boucher” Chicken Salad with Tahini Sauce, Radish, Pomegranate & Yoghurt €8.50
– Winter Salad with Grilled Beets, Crispy Goat’s Cheese & Faisselle €9.50
– Soup of the Day €7.50
– Peploes Salmon Gravadlax with Potato Salad & Dill Mustard Sauce €10.50
– Handmade Crab Tortellini with Scallops, Cherry Tomatoes & Basil €10.50
– Grilled Bruschetta of Chicken Livers with Cabernet Sauvignon Dressing, Roquefort Butter & Rocket Salad €10.50
– Foie Gras Terrine with Walnuts, Quince & Toasted Brioche €10.50
– Confit Duck Leg with Boudin Noir Roasted Apples, Kale, Braised Lentils & Red Cabbage €15.50
– Castletownbere Organic Salmon with Satay, Vadouvan Masala Potatoes & Crabmeat Salad €16.50
– Roast Haunch of Wild Irish Venison with Red Cabbage, Fondant Potato, Wild Mushroom Sauce & Cranberries €16.50
– Daily Fish €19.50
– Fresh Linguine with Dublin Bay Prawns, Crab, Chilli & Herbs €16.50
– Free Range Organic Chicken with Parma Ham & Figs Stuffing, Potato Puree & Heritage Carrots €15.50
– Grilled Peppered Pork Fillet with Red Wine Risotto & Gremolata €18.50
– Marrow Crusted Sirloin of Irish Beef with French Fries & Peppercorn Sauce €21.50 *
16 St Stephen’s Green,
Phone: (01) 676 3144
Web Site: www.peploes.com