Steak and Stout Pie Recipe from the Pocket Irish Pub Cookbook
Beef and stout blend perfectly in this delicious pie recipe. The crust is broken open to reveal a rich, dark interior.
– 1 tbsp seasoned flour
– 900 g/2 lb best quality beef steak, cut into small pieces
– 85 g/3 oz butter
– 8 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
– 5 onions, chopped
– 1 tbsp raisins
– 1 tsp soft light brown sugar
– 300 ml/10 fl oz Irish stout
– 450 g/1 lb ready rolled shortcrust pastry
– Beaten egg, for glazing
1. Put the seasoned flour in a large bowl, add the beef and toss to coat.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, then add the beef and the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Transfer the meat to a casserole dish.
3. Add the onions to the pan and fry until golden. Add to the casserole with the raisins, sugar and stout.
4. Cover tightly, bring to the boil over a medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 hours until the meat is tender, adding more liquid if needed.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
6. Transfer the contents of the casserole dish to a deep pie dish and cover with the pastry, trimming and sealing the edges.
7. Brush with the beaten egg and cook in the preheated oven for 30–35 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot.
This pocket-sized cookbook includes classic Irish pub dishes, from simple bar snacks to Sunday roasts, as well as exciting new suggestions such as risotto, salmon en croute, and even warm bacon salad!
There are soups, old favourites, main dishes, sides, snacks, salads, puds and special drinks. Every easy-to-follow recipe is illustrated with a mouth-watering photograph.
The Pocket Irish Pub Cookbook is published by Gill Books and is available to buy here, priced €4.99.