Crispy bacon, runny eggs and smooth avocado on toasted bread – the perfect breakfast, lunch or brunch! This recipe will be sure to bring smiles to the family on a Sunday morning.
– 8 smoked streaky rashers
– 4 eggs
– Dash of white wine vinegar
– 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
– Juice of ½ a lime
– ¼ tsp chilli flakes
– 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 4 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– Lightly dressed green salad, to serve
1. Place the rashers under a hot grill and cook until crispy.
2. Mash the avocados with the lime juice, chilli flakes, coriander leaves and season with salt and pepper.
3. To poach the Eggs: Bring a large pan of water to a simmer. Season the water with salt and a dash of vinegar.
4. Give the water a stir to cause it to swirl. Break the eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin or small bowl, then slide gently into the water.
5. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
6. Toast the bread, drizzle over the olive oil then top with the avocado mixture.
7. Place the rashers on top and finally a poached egg. Season the egg with a little salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
8. Serve with a green salad.
World Egg Day is taking place on Friday 12th October and Bord Bia have developed a suite of nutritious and easy recipes to hero the egg. These recipes can be found at bordbia.ie/eggs.
Eggs are known to be high in protein, meaning they are the perfect meal option for post work outs and exercise. They are quick and easy to make and provide fuel for our busy daily lives. Bord Bia is encouraging people to get ‘cracking’ and create some delicious and versatile eggs dishes, in the coming weeks.
Remember to always look for the Bord Bia Quality Mark when purchasing eggs so that you know they have been produced to the highest Bord Bia quality standards and where they come from.