This recipe is the perfect dish for using up those extra Christmas Day leftovers. Upgrade your St. Stephen’s Day with these festive puff pastry parcels, with a base of creamy potato gratin or some leftover roast potatoes mixed with a dollop of cream.
– 300g potato (leftovers work very well)
– 100g strong cheddar cheese, grated
– 100g boiled flaked ham
– 2 egg yolks, for glazing
– 2 egg whites, for sticking the pastry
– Chopped herbs and a spoon of mustard grin, for seasoning
– 1 sheet puff pastry
1. Mix the ham, spuds and grated cheddar in a bowl until bound and pliable. Add an egg to mix if needed as a binder. Another interesting variation to try is blue cheese, black pudding and gratin).
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured cold surface. Cut into 6 discs that are 4″ in diameter.
3. Cut another 6 discs that are slightly larger than the first set, approximately 6″ in diameter.
4. Spoon the mixture onto the smaller discs using an ice cream scoop sized spoon. To get perfect spheres, dip the scoop in boiling water and gather the mix the same way you would ice cream.
5. Using a pastry brush, glaze the egg white over the smaller discs. Carefully place the larger discs on top of the smaller set, squashing the sides with the back of a fork until it sticks. Brush the egg yolk glaze over the top of your pastry.
6. Pierce a hole on the top of the pastry before leaving to chill in the fridge for an hour.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.