This Quick aubergine & lamb curry with warm naan is from The Solo Food Cookbook. A perfect dinner recipe and it only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
– A pinch of ground cumin
– A tiny pinch of ground cinnamon 100 g lamb mince
– Rice or peanut oil, for frying
– 1 heaped tbsp tikka masala paste
– ½ large aubergine, diced 1 naan bread
– A generous dollop of full-fat yoghurt
– A small handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
– Salt and freshly ground pepper, to season
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas 6. Knead the cumin, cinnamon and some salt and pepper to taste into the mince and roll the mixture into 3 small meatballs.
2. Heat a splash of oil in a small sauté pan and fry the meatballs over a medium heat until they’re brown all over, around 7–10 minutes. Remove them from the pan on to a plate.
3. Fry the tikka masala paste for a minute in the remaining fat in the pan and pour in 125 ml water.
4. Add the aubergine dice and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to medium–high and let it simmer gently for 10 minutes. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the naan in the oven according to the packet instructions.
6. Put the curry into a bowl, top with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle with the coriander. You can use the warm naan as an eating utensil by dipping it into the curry, but a spoon is handy, too.
Solo Food is the first cookbook that celebrates cooking for yourself. Many people love to spend hours in the kitchen for their family or friends, but eat a pizza in front of the TV if they’re alone.
Janneke Vreugdenhil shows that cooking without the other mouths to feed can be extremely satisfying. You don’t need to take anyone else’s tastes into account; you and you alone know exactly how long you like your steak to be cooked and you can go ahead and enjoy that delicious pasta with prawns and smoked whiskey tomato sauce.
Solo Food is an exciting and personal, inspirational cookbook with 72 recipes that you’ll love putting on the table.