Quinoa is a grain I often cook with and serve alongside curries or add to salads and risottos. Whilst travelling through Peru (the home of quinoa), I discovered how to make porridge with this grain and it is delicious. If you don’t have buckwheat groats on hand simply replace with oats. Top this quinoa porridge recipe with your favourite seasonal toppings to really get your morning off to a great start.
– 200g raw quinoa grain
– 200g raw buckwheat groats
– 2 tbsp brown linseed
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– 450ml water
– 450ml milk
– 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
– 1 apple, sliced
– ground cinnamon
1. Place the quinoa, buckwheat and linseed in a saucepan.
2. Cover with the water, milk and vanilla essence.
3. Bring the pan to a gentle boil, stirring regularly until it begins to thicken. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes until the quinoa is cooked through.
4. Serve with the yoghurt, sliced apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
After work and the football field, the kitchen is generally where you will find chartered physiotherapist and ladies footballer, Sinéad Delahunty. A passionate lover of all food, she shares her kitchen creations through her food blog – Delalicious. She focuses on inspiring others to fuel their lives through healthy, wholesome and natural food with quick and easy recipes for all. Just back from a year out from work and football, eating and adventuring her way around the world. Check out her blog, www.delalicious.com for more recipe inspiration or follow her on social media for more Delalicious delights.