This quinoa with roasted ratatouille recipe is a great summer salad full of seasonal vegetables. Vegetables and fresh basil really add to the flavour and the quinoa is packed with protein.
Serves 4 to 6
– 1 red onion cut 1 ½ cm, diced
– 1 aubergine cut into 1 ½ cm, diced
– 1 courgette cut into 1 ½ cm, diced
– 1 red pepper cut into 1 ½ cm, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
– Extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
– Dried basil
– Sea salt
– 1 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
– 2 tbsp fresh parsley
– 2 tbsp fresh basil
– 25g toasted pine nuts
For cooking the quinoa
– Unrefined sunflower oil
– ¼ onion, diced (optional)
– 250g quinoa
– Sea salt
1. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat 2 tsp sunflower oil, if using the onion sauté until soft.
2. Wash the quinoa well and drain off the water.
3. Add to the pot with the onion along with a pinch of salt and 250 ml of water.
4. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover tightly. Simmer for 15 mins. Leave to stand for a further 15 mins.
5. When the time is up, remove the lid and fluff up the quinoa.
6. Place in a large bowl and set aside to cool
7. Place the red onion, aubergine, courgette, red pepper in a ovenproof dish or lasagna tray.
8. Add the garlic,2 tps oil and pinch dried basil and sea salt. Toss well to coat all the vegetables.
9. Place in a preheated oven for 10 minutes then remove and add the tinned tomatoes and return to the oven for a further 15 mins until the vegetables are soft.
10. Season the quinoa with sea salt. Add 1 tbsp of oil, chopped fine parsley and chopped fine basil.
11. When the roasted vegetables have cooled stir into the quinoa. Season and serve with scattered toasted pine nuts.
– Served with crumbled feta cheese.
– This salad works very well with cous cous or bulgar grains instead of the quinoa.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com