With the summer coming to an end and the bad weather setting in, this zesty slices recipe will brighten up anyone’s day.
– 225g butter
–225g caster sugar
–225g plain flour
–2 tsps. baking powder
– 4 eggs
–The zest of 2 limes
–2 cups frozen raspberries
–450g icing sugar
–1 cup frozen raspberries
–The juice of 1 lime
1. Grease and line a rectangle cake pan that is 6×12 inches. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. For the sponge, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one by one followed by the lime zest until fully incorporated.
4. Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat until smooth.
5. Using a spatula, gently fold in the frozen raspberries. Place mixture in your cake tin and bake for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown and springs back.
6. While the cake is cooling, prepare your icing.
7. Firstly, mix the lime juice with the frozen raspberries and lave to macerate. When the raspberries have thawed, pass through a sieve and save the juice.
8. Next, beat the butter in an electric mixer until pale. Slowly add in the icing sugar until it is all incorporated and the icing is stiff. To loosen, flavour and colour the icing, add around 2 tablespoons of the raspberry and lime juice and beat until smooth.
9. To decorate, cut the cake into even squares. I used a star nozzle and a piping bag to create a nice piped design on my cakes.
This cake can also be cooked in a regular 8inch round cake tin if you do not have a rectangular
With a dream to open her own baking business, Thea is currently doing Culinary Arts at Dublin Institute of Technology, while also working full-time as the pastry chef for The Fat Fox, Camden Row. Thea has been baking for as long as she can remember and at the age of sixteen she began decorating and selling her cakes to order. On her Instagram page you can find her creations from both The Fat Fox and her private clients.