Red Pepper and Bacon Hash Browns Recipe by Chef Gearóid Lynch
This is quite a filling and substantial breakfast. You can change the mixture to include mushrooms, fresh herbs, chilli, courgette or whatever leftovers you need to use up. This hash browns recipe can be made the night before and reheated in the morning. Portioned and individually wrapped, they are also suitable for freezing.
– 165g streaky bacon
– 400g potatoes, peeled and grated
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 50g butter
– ½ red pepper, finely diced
– 1 shallot, finely diced
– 4–6 eggs, to serve
– 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil (if frying the eggs)
– 30ml white wine vinegar (if poaching the eggs)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grill the streaky bacon until crisp, then roughly chop and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess grease.
2. Once the potatoes have been peeled and grated, place them into a clean tea towel and twist to squeeze out the excess moisture. Put the prepared potato into a large bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper.
3. Place a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add a knob of butter along with the red pepper and shallot and cook for about 3 minutes, until soft.
4. Add the chopped bacon, red pepper and shallot to the grated potatoes and mix together.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add half of the remaining butter, then add the potato mixture, pressing it down in an even layer.
6. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn the potato mixture over, add the remaining butter and cook for a further 5 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Slide onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until crispy.
8. Meanwhile, fry or poach the eggs.
10. Place the hash browns on a chopping board and cut into four even wedges. Serve with a poached or fried egg.
As well as tempting breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts, there’s a section on store-cupboard staples and basics, including gluten-free bread, pizza and pasta. With a few small adjustments, those with coeliac disease will no longer miss out on their favourite meals.
My Gluten-Free Kitchen is available to buy on www.GillBooks.ie (€24.99)