This Refuel Salad by Chef Gareth Mullins at The Marker Hotel is the perfect dish for the summer months and serves four people – perfect for a little get-together with friends.
– 12 pieces of sprouting broccoli
– 1 small bag of baby spinach
– 1 small bag of rocket leaves
– 4 tbsp. of organic quinoa
– 1 punnet of blackberries
– 1 head of chicory endive
– 1 tsp. of sunflower seeds
– 1 tsp. of pumpkin seeds
– 1 tsp. of flax seeds
– 1 tsp. of Dijon mustard
– 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
– 40ml of extra virgin rape seed oil
– 1 tsp. of fresh tarragon, chopped
– 1 pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
2. To make the tarragon dressing, place all the ingredients in a food processer and blend until you have a smooth sauce.
3. Wash the rocket leaves.
4. Place all the seeds on a flat baking tray and toast them in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until the seeds are puffed and golden.
5. Boil the quinoa in salted water for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and cool in the fridge.
6. Cook the broccoli for 1 minute in salted boiling water and cool it down in iced water to keep it nice and green.
7. Place all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss together and season with salt and pepper.
– The toasted seeds store well in an air tight container and can be used for whenever you want to add a little crunch to a salad.
With over 16 years’ experience cooking in five star hotels in Ireland and Australia, Gareth spent seven years in the Merrion Hotel, where he was Head Chef in The Cellar Restaurant & Bar. Gareth and his team were chosen to cook the main course at the 2017 Restaurant Association of Ireland Awards.www.themarkerhoteldublin.com.