A tart without the tin… that’s like music to my ears! This rustic and relaxed galette recipe is the perfect way to celebrate the first of the seasons ruby rhubarb.
– 200g plain flour
– 30g caster sugar
– 120g cold unsalted butter
– Pinch salt
– Pinch baking powder
– A few tbsp cold water
– 55g butter
– 50g caster sugar
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp chopped candied ginger
– 60g ground almonds
– 30g plain flour
– 500g chopped rhubarb
– 40g caster sugar
– 100ml water
– Egg wash
– Flaked almonds
1. For the pastry, mix the four, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter together until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add a few tablespoons of cold water until the dough comes together to form a ball.
3. Wrap & chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. For the frangipane, in a bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth and pale in colour.
5. Add the egg and candied ginger and mix.
6. Finally add the flour and ground almonds, Mix and set to one side at room temperature.
7. Put the rhubarb, water and sugar in a roasting tray and place in an oven set at 180C for 6-8 minutes to soften slightly, remove and all to cool.
8. Take the rested pastry from the fridge and on a floured work surface roll out a large circle and carefully place this on a lined baking tray.
9. Spoon the ginger frangipane in the centre leaving space around the edge.
10. Place the rhubarb on top of this and start to turn the edges of the pastry in to form a pleated edge.
11. Do not completely cover as the top of the galette should remain open. If you can, make sure there are no cracks in the pastry as the juice from the fruit will leak out during cooking.
12. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
13. Place in a preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Best served warm with a spoon of marscapone! Enjoy