This Roast Sea Bream recipe with Champ, Capers, Parsley and Black Butter, was created by leading Australian Chef and Masterchef judge John Torode to pair with the McGuigan Wines Founder Series Cabernet Sauvignon.
– 4 large fillets sea bream, skin on
– 20ml vegetable oil
– Salt & pepper
– 700g peeled potatoes
– 50g butter
– 50ml milk
– 50ml double cream
– 6 spring onions, sliced, green and whites separate
– 80g butter
– 2 tbsp capers
– Handful Parsley (chopped)
1. Make the mash first, boil the potatoes and then drain, place back in the saucepan and cover with a cloth and leave to steam dry for 5 minutes. In a separate saucepan bring to the boil the cream, milk, 50g butter with some salt and pepper and the whites of the onions.
2. Mash the potatoes with a fork and when lump free, add to the boiling cream mix and stir into the potatoes, put them back on the heat, and bring to the boil, drop on the greens when hot but about to serve.
3. Take a large fry pan and cut out a disk of greaseproof paper to fit the bottom, Place the pan over a high heat and place the paper in the pan and the fish skin side down onto it. This will give you a crisp skin.
4. Cook for 5 minutes and then turn and cook for 1 minute more.
5. Take from the pan and put on a warm plate to rest.
6. Put the pan back over the heat, discard the paper and add the butter to the pan. Leave to sizzle and when it starts to go dark, add the capers and the parsley and a good squeeze of lemon and a good splash of wine.
7. Time to serve, make sure the spuds are hot and pile the fish on top then pour over the sauce, serve with lemons.
McGuigan Founder’s Series Cabernet Sauvignon
The Founder’s Series Cabernet Sauvignon has been sourced from the iconic Coonawarra wine region, centred in the Limestone Coast of South Australia. With rich blackcurrant and dark berry aromas, distinctive earthy tones and unique eucalyptus notes from Coonawarra, this red wine has the unique ability to match well with a wide range of foods, even the delicious fish recipe John has created.
– Neil McGuigan, Chief Winemaker
At McGuigan Wine are always keen to enjoy the good things in life and food & wine matching is definitely one of them. So when we had the opportunity to work with John Torode we jumped at the chance. As it turns out, John is from the same part of Australia as the McGuigan family – the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. In fact he grew up in the same small town, Maitland, as Neil McGuigan our Chief Winemaker. This turned out to be the beginning of a great friendship. John doing the food and Neil doing the wine.
John has created 50 recipes for McGuigan Wines, and chief winemaker Neil McGuigan has then matched our wines to them. The recipes have been split into seasons and as the year moves on. Find the full selection on www.mcguiganwines.co.uk/john-torode.
McGuigan Wines are available to buy online on www.winesoftheworld.ie.