This whole roasted fillet of beef recipe uses Chef Kwanghi Chan’s Spice Bag seasoning to add an oriental twist to a classic. Perfect for when you want to spice up your roast dinner at home.
– 4 tbsp ChanChan Spice Bag Seasoning
– 5lb beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
– 4 tbsp vegetable oil
– Fresh chives, snipped
– Tarragon sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 175c.
2. Half beef crosswise and sprinkle rub all over both pieces.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat until just smoking, then brown 1 piece of beef on all sides, about 1 minute.
4. Transfer to a large roasting pan. Wipe frying pan clean with paper towels and brown remaining beef in the same manner.
5. Arrange beef pieces 2 inches apart in roasting tray.
6. Roast in middle of oven 25 to 35 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into centres of pieces registers 55c.
7. Let beef stand in pan on a rack 25 minutes. Beef will continue to cook as it stands, reaching 60c (medium-rare).
8. Discard string and slice beef.
Born in Hong Kong and raised in Donegal, Kwanghi Chan is the Hospitality Development Chef for BaxterStory. He launched his unique Asian flavoured ChanChan sauce in 2016, and is also brand ambassador for Amoy Food.
He regularly features in TV shows including RTE’s Today Show and TV3’s 6 O’Clock Show, and hosts cookery demonstrations at Cooks Academy. Prior to his role with BaxterStory, Kwanghi worked in the Terrace Restaurant, The City West Hotel and Waterford’s Cliff House Hotel.