For this Italian inspired succulent lamb recipe, we’ve baked leafy green kale to make delicious crisps, an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamins C and K.
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 red onion
– 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
– 150g cherry tomatoes
– 60g kale
– 40g sun-dried tomatoes
– Olive oil
– 2 x 150g lamb leg steaks
– 240g drained cannellini beans
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Finely chop or crush the garlic and finely slice the red onion. Finely chop the rosemary, removing the stalks. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Roughly chop the kale leaves, removing the tough stalks, and roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Season the lamb steaks and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side, then remove from the pan and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle over half the rosemary and 1 teaspoon of oil and place in the oven for 10–15 minutes, until cooked but still slightly pink in the middle. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic and the remaining rosemary and cook for 1 minute, then add the red onion and cook for a further 7 minutes, until softened and turning golden.
5. Drain the beans and add to the red onion, along with the sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of water. Simmer for 5–10 minutes, then season.
6. While the lamb is resting, place the kale on a baking tray, drizzle over 1 teaspoon of oil and place in the oven for 5 minutes, until crispy.
7. Thinly slice the lamb steaks. To serve, spoon the Italian beans on to warm plates, sprinkle over the kale crisps and place the sliced lamb on top.
Myles Hopper and Giles Humphries, a nutritional coach and health food duo from Devon are the founders of Mindful Chef, the UK’s favourite healthy recipe box service. Each week they deliver delicious ingredients and recipes to thousands of households, including sporting stars Victoria Pendleton and Andy Murray. Here, in their first book, Myles and Giles share 70 delightful and easy-to-make dishes that are nutritionally proven to boost your health and wellness.
Mindful Chef: Eat, Well Live Better by Myles Hopper & Giles Humphries, is available to buy here, priced £13.60.