This Scotch Broth Recipe is a traditional and tasty dish that is perfect for a family dinner. A hearty and warming soup that contains lamb and a selection of vegetables. Broth is making a welcome comeback on cold winter days.
– 2 lamb necks, on the bone, each weighing 300-400g
– 50g carrots, diced
– 50g onion, diced
– 50g leek, diced
– 50g celery, diced
– 50g celeriac, diced
– 50g turnips, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, sliced
– 40g pearl barley
– 1 bouquet garni
– 200ml olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Sweat all the vegetables and garlic for 5-10 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
2. Add the lamb necks, followed by the pearl barley and approximately 2 litres of cold water.
3. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper and add the bouquet garni.
4. Simmer the broth for 2 hours, remove from the heat.
5. Carefully lift the necks out of the pan and flake the meat from the bone. Discard the bones and add the flaked meat back to the broth.
Reheat the broth, adjust the seasoning to taste and stir in plenty of chopped parsley.
All in the Food is published by O’Brien’s Press and is available to buy here.