Embrace the summer with this Sea bass recipe with asparagus, champ mash and tomato pesto, which was created by Chef Gareth Mullins at The Marker Hotel.
– 4 fillets sea bass, scaled, pin boned and score the skin with a shape knife
– Light olive oil
– Juice of Lemon
– 12 spears of asparagus
– 200g sundried tomatoes
– 1/2 clove garlic
– 50g parmesan
– 50g toasted pinenuts
– 20g extra olive oil
Champ mash potatoes
– 400g rooster potatoes
– 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
– 50g butter
– 40ml cream
– Salt and pepper
1. To make the champ mash, peel the potatoes and place in a pot. Cover with cold water and cook the potatoes on a low simmer until soft.
2. Strain and return to a low heat to ensure that the potatoes are dry before mashing. In another pot, saute the spring onions until soft. Add the mashed potatoes and cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. To make the pesto, put the garlic, pinenuts, parmesan and olive oil in a blender and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add the sundried tomatoes and blend again until it’s combined.
1. To cook the fish, place a medium non-stick pan on a medium heat, season the fillets, add a little olive oil to the pan and cook the sea bass skin side down 2 fillets at a time for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
2. Place on a tray and finish the other fillets. When ready to serve, finish the cooking in a preheat oven at 180 degrees for 2 minutes Take from the oven finish with a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
3. Cut the asparagus where the asparagus feels woody, you should be able to feel it with you knife. If the asparagus is large, you may need to peel it, plunge it into salted boiling water for 2 minutes, strain and toss in a little olive oil and lemon when ready to serve.
With over 16 years’ experience cooking in five star hotels in Ireland and Australia, Gareth spent seven years in the Merrion Hotel, where he was Head Chef in The Cellar Restaurant & Bar. Gareth and his team were chosen to cook the main course at the 2017 Restaurant Association of Ireland Awards.www.themarkerhoteldublin.com.