This risotto recipe combines calamari, prawns and mussels for a delicious taste of the freshest seafood. This recipe is excellent for dinner parties, as you can have all the dishes ready at the same time (and it has great taste so your guests will be delighted!).
– 1.5l fish or vegetable stock
– 250g fresh calamari, cleaned
– 500g uncooked prawns
– 250g mussels
– 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 200g finely chopped onion
– 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
– 2 cups (400g) Arborio rice
– 180ml tomato sauce
– 50g butter
– 50g chopped parsley
1. Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, cut the calamari down the centre to open out. Score the inside in a diagonal pattern, then cut into pieces.
3. Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact.
4. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Cook prawns and calamari over a high heat, in batches, until the prawns have just changed colour. Remove from the pan.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring until onion has softened. Add rice, stirring to coat well with onion mixture. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
6. Stir in 1/2 cup of the hot stock, uncovered until liquid has evaporated. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
7. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup at a time until all of the stock has been used, this should take between 12-14 minutes.
8. Lastly add mussels cook until opened.
9. Return prawns and calamari to the pan cook for 1 minute, finally stir in butter and herbs and serve.
Wrights Findlater Howth is a contemporary bar and restaurant serving the finest seafood and steaks, quality wines, cocktails and a selection of Irish whiskeys. Located at Howths most prominent iconic building, and home to The Asgard restaurant on the first floor, it’s ideal for functions, weddings, christenings, birthdays you name it.
Wrights Findlater offers the best views of Howth harbour and Irelands Eye across its 3 floors.