Seared Scallops Recipe with Donegal Crab Meat by Chef Lee Mastin from The Draft House
This Seared Scallops recipe with Donegal Crab Meat, passion fruit and shaved fennel is by by Chef Lee Mastin from The Draft House.
Passion Fruit Gel
– 240g passion fruit puree
– 3g agar agar
– 30g sugar
– 120g picked Donegal crab meat
– 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced
– 1 tbsp dill finely chopped
– 2 tbsp mayonnaise
– 2 passion fruits
– Splash of Donegal Rapeseed oil
– 12 scallops
– 1 tbsp butter
– HalfSalt and pepper
Passion Fruit Gel
1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for a few minutes. Pour into a tray and allow it to set. When it is set, put into a blender and blend to a smooth puree.
1. Mix the fennel and dill. Combine crab meat with the fennel and mayonnaise. Put about half the mixture into four round cookie cutters, using them as moulds, and refrigerate until serving.
2. Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the flesh. Fill passion fruit shells with the remaining crab mix, spoon a little of the passion fruit gel over the crab and set in the fridge, cut in half when ready to serve.
1. Put the oil in a frying pan and heat until nearly smoking. Meanwhile season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper, then carefully place into the oil. Cook for 2 minutes on each side.
2. Add the butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Spoon this over the scallops on the serving plates.
1. Place three scallops on each plate and spoon some of the passion fruit gel over the top. Ease the crab mixtures out of the moulds and put one on each plate.
2. Reshape slightly if necessary. Spoon some gel onto these as well and dot the remaining gel as decoration. Balance two stuffed passion fruit quarters on each crab cake.
Currently Head Chef at The Draft House gastro pub in Strandhill, Co. Sligo on the Wild Atlantic Way, Lee Mastin’s impressive CV includes years in Michelin starred kitchens. He has worked with Gary Rhodes in City Rhodes and with Raymond Blanc’s protégé Steven Bulmer, in his Soho restaurant Atelier.
Lee is zealous about tracking down top quality local suppliers and is evangelical in encouraging new producers. This dedication is obvious from the ever changing Draft House menu with its focus on seasonality. The Draft House was a worthy winner of the Bord Bia ‘Just Ask’ award and Best Casual Dining Experience at the Gold Medal Awards.