Orange Chocolate Shortbread Hearts Recipe with a Rum Dip by Siúcra & Catherine Fulvio
Love is in the air with these show stopping Valentine’s Day treats created by Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio. Indulge your sweet tooth with our Orange Chocolate Shortbread Hearts Recipe with a Rum Dip – the perfect romantic dessert this Valentine’s Day.
– 180g plain flour
– 60g Siucra caster sugar
– A pinch of nutmeg
– 120g soft butter
– 1 orange, zest only
– 4 tbsp. cocoa powder, sieved
– 40g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids), grated
– 40ml to 50ml cold water
– 100g mascarpone
– 120ml cream
– 4 tbsp rum
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
– 4 tbsp. Siucra icing sugar
– 100g dark chocolate, melted
– Orange zest, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C/fan 160C°/gas 4 and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Place the flour, Siúcra sugar and nutmeg into a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the orange zest, grated chocolate and sieved cocoa powder.
3. Add enough cold water for form a firm dough and lightly knead until combined.
4. Wrap in parchment and leave to chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes before rolling out.
5. Dust a clean surface with a little sieved cocoa powder and roll out to 1 cm thick.
6. Using your heart shaped cutter, cut out shapes.
7. Place the biscuits on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 14 to 16 minutes until cooked – this depends on the size of the biscuits. Remove from the oven, leave on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
1. Whisk together the mascarpone, cream, rum and vanilla extract.
2. Fold in Siúcra Icing Sugar. Spoon into a bowl and arrange the biscuits around to dip.
Decorate the Biscuits
1. When cold, spoon the melted chocolate into a piping bag without a nozzle. Snip the end of the piping bag and drizzle the chocolate over the biscuits. Sprinkle over orange zest to decorate.
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.