I think it’s great fun to substitute familiar foods into plant-based versions. My Carrot Lax Bites Recipe is inspired by the Scandinavian Gravad Lax, a cured salmon dish.
This looks and tastes almost the same as the real deal. It’s endlessly versatile and has a wonderful salty and smoky flavour. The latter comes from liquid smoke, an ingredient you can find online and in vegan shops.
You can also use smoked paprika, although the taste won’t be quite the same. The lax takes two or three days to develop its flavour, so you’ll need to practice a little patience.
– 500g unpeeled carrots
– 1 teaspoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika
– 2 tbsp mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
– 1 quantity Savoury Cashew Cream or vegan ‘cream cheese’
– 2 red onions, sliced into thin half moons
– 1 jar capers in brine
– 4 tbsp chopped dill
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/gas mark 4. Wrap the carrots in foil and bake for 45–60 minutes until cooked but still al dente.
2. Carefully remove the peel and slice the carrots as thin as you can, either on the diagonal or in long strips. Place the slices in a bowl and add the liquid smoke, mirin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat well.
3. Place the carrots in a container, cover with a lid or foil and refrigerate for 2–3 days before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
4. Serve with the savoury cashew cream, some thin strips of red onion and a couple of capers. Grind over some black pepper and sprinkle with fresh dill.
5. Serving Suggestion Serve with seeded crackers of your choice. The Carrot Lax also works great in pastas, quiches and salads.
Healthy vegan recipes with 7 ingredients or fewer; can it be true? Yes! Being a vegan can be easy, fun and totally delicious.
With more than 20 years’ experience in plant-based cooking, Rita Serano shows how cooking vegan doesn’t have to be complicated. She offers nourishing and delicious recipes with not a single fake overprocessed vegan burger in sight.
Vegan in 7 contains many delicious recipes that are vegan, refined sugar free and low fat.
Recipes taken from Vegan in 7 by Rita Serano. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Laura Edwards.