My inspiration for this Lao style noodles recipe, comes from my love for fresh Thai aromatic flavours and textures. One of my favourite comfort foods right here, packed with great textures and bold flavours. An absolutely beautiful lunch or dinner recipe. If you like citrus and aromatic herbs flavours toogether, promise that this recipe will leave you craving for more.
– 1 lb mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, wood ear), finely chopped
– 400g smoked tofu, finely grated
– 2 tsp sesame oil
– 2 Tbsp tamari sauce
– Sprinkle of white pepper
– 300g eggs or glass noodles, previously cooked & cooled
– 1 garlic clove, grated
– 1 lime juice, freshly squeezed
– 2 Tbsp Fish sauce or tamari to taste
– 1 Tbsp sesame oil
– 1/2 cup finely Chopped coriander
– 1/2 cup finely Chopped scallions
– 1/2 cup Fresh mint leaves, torn
– 1-2 tsp Chan Chan Korean Hot Pepper Flakes (optional)
– 1-2 tsp Sriracha sauce (optional)
– 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
– Lettuce or chinese cabbage leaves, chopped finely
– Beans sprouts to taste
– Sprinkle of fresh coriander & mint
1. Heat a wok or frying pan to medium-high heat and drizzle sesame oil.
2. Add mushrooms and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until most of the moisture has evaporated.
3. Stir in the finely grated tofu and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Season with tamari and white pepper.
5. Set aside to slightly cool.
6. Combine all the ingredients to make the sauce, adjust seasoning and add chilli at this stage if desired.
7. Mix gently, smoked tofu, mushrooms, cooked noodles, lettuce, beansprouts and add the sauce, combine well.
8. Serve with the garnish ingredients and devour! This is a delicious dish served hot or cold, perfect to pack and go!
Jeeny Maltese, a Latin-American born TV chef & food writer. Featuring as celebrity chef on the RTE “Today Show with Maura & Daithi” and Virgin Media “The Six O’Clock Show”. Keynote speaker and guest chef at top festivals & events nationwide. Passionate about good eating & good food, making it accessible for everyone, through her cooking methods and philosophy. Enamoured with Ireland’s stunning land, quality food produce & its passionate people.
You can catch up with Jeeny at all the top summer food festivals this year, doing live cooking demonstrations on stage all over the country, from Taste of Dublin, Galway International Food Festival, Taste of Cavan, Savour Kilkenny and many more.