Southern Cherry Syrup Pancakes Recipe from M&S
This Spirit of Summer inspired Southern cherry syrup pancakes recipe from M&S is the perfect way to start a summer’s day.
– 100g caster sugar
– 4 tbsp caster sugar
– 200g cherries
– 1 orange
– 200g plain flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1 pinch salt
– 2 eggs
– 284ml low-fat natural yogurt
– 100ml milk
– 25g butter
– crème fraîche, to serve
1. Stone and quarter the cherries.
2. Zest and juice the oranges.
3. Separate the eggs.
4. Melt the butter.
5. To make the syrup, put 100g sugar and 200ml water into a heavy-based saucepan, and bring to the boil.
6. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture forms a syrup. Leave to cool.
7. Put the cherries in a bowl with 2 tbsp sugar, the orange zest and juice, and mix evenly to coat.
8. Cover and leave in the fridge to macerate for 30 minutes.
9. Strain the cherries, reserving the liquid. Add the cherry liquid to the cooled syrup base.
10. Heat the oven to 120°C/100°C fan/gas ½. Prepare the pancake batter.
11. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
12. In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, yogurt or buttermilk, milk and melted butter.
13. Add the dry ingredients, a third at a time, and whisk until you have a thick, relatively smooth batter.
14. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and gently fold into the batter, until evenly combined. Cover and rest for 10-15 minutes.
15. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat.
16. Brush lightly with butter, then drop 2 tbsp batter into the pan to make pancakes about 10cm in diameter (make two at a time).
17. After 2-3 minutes, or when bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute or until golden.
18. Transfer to the warm oven while you cook the rest.
19. To serve, place 3 or 4 pancakes on each plate
20. Top with the cherries, syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche
All ingredients are available from Marks & Spencer.
This summer Marks & Spencer is celebrating the best of the Americas with the launch Spirit of Summer –consisting of 300 delicious new food and drink products.
The food experts at Marks & Spencer have travelled throughout Central and South America, as well as to the Southern States of the USA, visiting street food stalls, scouring restaurants and pop ups to find the latest food trends and dishes, creating the most exciting Marks & Spencer summer offering yet.
Bursting with innovation, Spirit of Summer is full of exotic and powerful flavours to take you on an exotic trip to warmer climes. Tangy explosions of tropical fruits like Lime, Pineapple, Mango and Guava appear in everything from Salmon Skewers with Lime, Chilli and Mint to Cucumber & Lemon Agua Fresca.
Marks & Spencer offers an extensive range of food and wine. There are 17 stores in the Republic of Ireland. To find your nearest store visit www.marksandspencer.ie