Spanish Chickpea & Spinach Stew Recipe by Tasty Mediterraneo
This Spanish chickpea & spinach stew recipe is originally from Andalusia. It is a very rich and nourishing dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. And what is best, it comes together in less than 30 minutes! This healthy stew is vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free.
– 500g organic chickpeas in water
– 500g fresh spinach leaves
– 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
– 2 carrots, peeled and diced
– 1 boiled egg
– 1 tsp Pimentón de la Vera (Spanish paprika)
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp salt (or salt to taste)
– 1 tbsp pine nuts
– 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1. Have all the vegetables well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description. Rinse the chickpeas well and drain.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the carrots and a pinch of salt and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add then the onion and continue stirring for 2 more minutes. Add the chickpeas and cover them with water.
3. In the meantime, in a mortar mix the peeled and crushed garlic clove, the salt, the boiled egg yolk, the pine nuts, the Spanish paprika and a couple of tablespoons of chickpeas and pestle until you get a paste. This paste will be a perfect thickener for the stew.
4. Add this paste to the chickpeas and cook it all together at low-medium heat for around 10 minutes. Add then the spinach and cook for 3 more minutes. Cut in small dices the boiled egg white and add it right before serving.
5. Remove from the heat and serve hot.
I am Margarita Ribot, the cook, photographer and blogger behind Tasty Mediterraneo, a vegetarian food blog where I share healthy, simple and affordable recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine. I grew up in Spain enjoying the healthy Mediterranean diet and lifestyle and I am passionate about healthy eating and cooking Mediterranean recipes.
With the hectic lives that we lead in today’s society, many people are far from having healthy eating and lifestyle habits. I believe that a balanced diet such as the Mediterranean diet is key to live healthy longer and to put you at a lower risk for chronic diseases.
With the hope of encouraging many of you to preparing healthy recipes at home I leave you with one of my favourite quotes:
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates.