This spelt recipe is a robust, substantial autumnal dinner – any leftovers will make for a really superior lunchbox. Use pearl barley if more readily available than spelt.
– 150g spelt or pearl barley, rinsed
– 350g chicken stock
– 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
– 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
– 5 cloves of garlic, skin on
– 225g cooking chorizo, cut into 2cm chunks
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 300g spinach, roughly chopped
– 1 lemon, juice only
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C/gas 4.
2. In a roasting tin, mix together the spelt or pearl barley, chicken stock, sweet potato chunks, onion and garlic.
3. Rub the chorizo with the olive oil and scatter over the pearl barley mixture.
4. Cover the dish tightly with foil, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour.
5. Remove the foil and stir in the spinach. Season to taste with the lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve hot.
The Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer is published by Square Peg in Hardback at £16.99