Spiced Moroccan Lentil Soup from Blazing Salads
This Moroccon lentil soup recipe is perfect for a cold February day. Slight heat from the spices and texture from the puy lentils make this a meal packed with nourishment.
– 175g red lentils
– 55g puy lentils
– extra virgin olive oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 carrot, diced
– 1 stick celery, diced
– ½ red pepper, diced
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1/2 tsp ground coriander
– pinch turmeric
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped fine
– 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
– 200g chopped tinned tomatoes
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
– sea salt
1. Place the lentils in a large bowl and rinse several times in cold water to clean them.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and saute the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute and then add the ginger, chilli, ground coriander and cumin, turmeric and saute for a further minute.
3. Add the carrot, celery, red pepper and tomato and stir. Place the washed lentils on top.
4. Pour in 1½ litres of cold water, add a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. When the soup is cooked stir well, season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped fresh coriander.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com