This Spinach Pancakes Recipe with Leeks, Kale, Pepper and Caramelized Walnuts will make for a special feast for your loved ones! Adding baby spinach to the batter of these savoury pancakes gives a wonderful vibrant green colour that is sure to brighten up any plate – and create a mouth-watering dish!
Serves 10 – 12 people (depending on the size of the pancakes)
– 60g walnut halves
– 100g Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
– 1 leek, sliced
– 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 1 red pepper, thinly diced
– 1 tsp chopped thyme
– 60ml vegetable stock
– 2 large leaves of kale, shredded
– 4 tbsp cream
– Pinch nutmeg
– 250g plain flour
– 2 tbsp. Siúcra Caster Sugar
– A small handful of baby spinach, finely shredded
– A pinch of paprika
– 2 eggs
– 350ml milk
– 3 to 4 tbsp water, if the batter is too thick
– 50g feta cheese, crumbled, to garnish
– Sprigs of thyme, to garnish
1. Line a baking tray with parchment and brush lightly with a non-scented oil. Place the walnut halves onto the parchment paper.
2. Pour the Siúcra Caster Sugar into a non-stick saucepan and heat until just amber in colour. Pour the caramelised sugar over the walnuts and leave to set.
1. Heat a saucepan with some oil and sauté the leek for 6 minutes until softened but not browned.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the red pepper, thyme, stock and cook for a further 3 minutes before adding the shredded kale and nutmeg.
4. Simmer for about 2 minutes before pouring in the cream. Set aside until the pancakes are cooked.
1. Combine the plain flour, Siúcra Caster Sugar and spinach in a bowl. Add a pinch of paprika.
2. Beat together the eggs and milk and slowly whisk into the flour mix. Pour into a jug.
3. When ready to cook, heat the frying pan and add a little butter and oil, give the batter a quick stir and then pour just enough into the pan to make a large size pancake.
4. Cook for about 1½ minutes and then turn onto the other side, cooking for about ½ minute until golden and cooked.
4. Place on a clean plate continuing to finish all the batter. Place sheets of parchment into between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking.
1. Place a pancake on the plate, spoon in the filling on one half and fold the other half over.
2. Serve 2 pancakes per person and crumble the feta over the top as well as some caramelized walnuts. Garnish with sprigs of thyme.
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.