Summer Lamb Stew Recipe by Chef Chad Byrne
This summer lamb stew recipe by chef Chad Byrne is quite simple and a perfect flavoursome meal for the summer.
– 1kg lamb neck, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-size pieces, leave whole
– 5g tsp salt
– 3g freshly ground black pepper
– 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
– 3 medium carrots, small dice
– 12 radish cut in 1/6
– Handful peas
– Handful peeled broad beans
– 12 baby turnips (boil in salted water until tender 4mins depending on size and refreshed separately with skin on, peel with a back of a knife keeps the shape for a professional look)
– 200g pearl barley
– 1L chicken broth
– 50ml butternut squash (sweet) or turnip (sour) juice
– 10g coriander seeds (toasted)
– 10g freshly chopped oregano
– 10g bush basil, much lighter and delicate than normal basil
1. In a large pan of cold water bring the lamb to a gentle simmer with the water just covering the surface of the lamb.
2. Skim off the top where the impurities will rise, after 50 mins strain through a fine sieve keeping the juice and the lamb.
3. In the same empty pot add the olive oil and flour. Gently cook for two to three minutes and slowly whisk in the juiced squash or turnip (turnip is sharp adds lovely unusual bite to the dish) and chicken stock.
4. Add the lamb stock and lamb. Add barley, onion, carrot and coriander and cook for 30 mins slowly until tender, lastly add fresh herbs peas and beansand seasoning.
5. Take out the lamb and seal in a heavy pan, I season it with ras el hunet and seal all sides.
6. Place stew in a bowl and add the fried lamb garnish with fresh herbs and orange zest.
7. Serve with some grilled sourdough and fresh tomato for a great lunch.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.