My inner Dr Seuss fan gets excited at the mere thought of green eggs – even without the ham! I often make neon green spinach crêpes filled with Gruyère cheese and ham as a means to satisfy my needs but I do have a slightly lighter alternative in this super green omelette, which can easily become the vehicle for plenty of other ingredients of your choosing.
– 50g baby spinach
– Large handful of chives
– Large handful of flat-leaf parsley
– 75ml milk
– 4 large free-range eggs
– 1 tbsp sunflower oil
– 75g sun blushed tomatoes
– 50g pine nuts, toasted
– 1 large ripe avocado
– 100g rindless goats’ cheese, crumbled
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the spinach, chives, parsley and milk in a food processor and blitz until smooth (you may need to scrape down the greens with a spatula halfway through the process).
2. Add the eggs and blitz again to combine, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and pour in half the mixture. Tilt the pan until the mixture completely covers the base. Cook for 2 minutes until just set underneath and then add half the tomatoes, pine nuts, avocado and goats’ cheese. Fold the omelette in half and then cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make a second omelette.
5. Serve the omelettes hot from the pan or allow to cool and chop up for a lunchbox on-the-go.
The quick and easy cookbook from Irish TV star and Saturday Kitchen host Donal Skehan.
EAT.LIVE.GO – Fresh Food Fast is a collection of quick and easy recipes for busy and energetic lifestyles. Donal’s healthy approach to eating provides big flavour, the optimum nutrition the body needs, plus delicious treats.
Recipe extracted from Eat. Live. Go by Donal Skehan, published on 20th October 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton, £25 © Donal Skehan 2016