Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Stew Recipe by Holly White
This Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Stew is the perfect winter warmer. Stews and casseroles also work really well in a slow cooker, which I’m convinced are going to have a revival soon. There’s a bit of chopping involved here, but there’s no need to chase perfection here. Some chunky vegetables make this more hearty.
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 800g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
– 2 onions, finely chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
– 500ml vegetable stock (page 000)
– 2 x 400g tins of butter beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 large bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– brown rice, to serve
– coconut yogurt, to serve
– Heat the oil in a casserole set over a medium heat. Add the chopped sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and spices.
– Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until all the flavours have combined and the potatoes have a slight golden edge.
– Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid half off for about 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
– Add the butter beans an cook for another 5 minutes to warm them through. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chopped fresh coriander leaves.
– Serve in warmed shallow bowls with steaming bowls of brown rice and a little coconut yogurt on the side.
Holly White is a Fashion Journalist and Broadcaster who is passionate about style, natural beauty and plant-based eating. She regularly appears on TV3’s Six O’Clock Show and hosts cookery demos across the country to show people how easy and delicious a plant-based lifestyle can be. You can follow all of her activity on her personal blog, www.holly.ie.
This recipe is from her latest cookbook ‘Vegan-Ish’, a gentle introduction to a plant-based diet.