Sweet and Savory Tapioca Crepes Recipe from Delalicious
This Crepes Recipe is gluten free as Tapioca is used. Tapioca is an ingredient I had never worked with or tasted until travelling through Brazil over the last month. Tapioca is produced by extracting starch from the cassava plant – a shrub grown in abundance in South America.
The flour is naturally gluten free so a great choice for coeliac cooking too. On their own, the taste isn’t mind blowing but add a topping of your choice and you’ll be an immediate fan. The cooking method is fool proof and only takes seconds so great for when you’re in a hurry!
Makes 8 crepes
–200g tapioca flour
–4 tbsp water
Filling of your choice
–Sweet – 2 bananas, sliced, 4 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp melted chocolate, 1 tbsp unsalted peanuts
–Savoury – leftover chilli, ½ fresh avocado, sliced, 4 tbsp fresh coriander
1. Place the flour in a mixing bowl and gradually add the water.
2. Mix by hand until it forms a crumbled like consistency. As each flour is different you may need more or less water. If you get a wallpaper paste like texture just add another spoon of flour, mix and assess. If your mix is still too floury just add another spoon of water, mix and assess.
3. Sieve the crumble mix to remove any clumps.
4. Preheat a nonstick skillet frying pan over a low-medium heat.
5. Evenly spread 3 tablespoons of the tapioca mix onto the pan and allow to cook for 1 minute.
6. Flip it over and cook for 1 minute on the opposite side.
7. Remove from pan and set aside. Continue with remaining mixture.
8. To serve: spread the crepe with peanut butter and banana slices. Sprinkle some melted chocolate and peanuts over the top to finish.
After work and the football field, the kitchen is generally where you will find chartered physiotherapist and ladies footballer, Sinéad Delahunty. A passionate lover of all food, she shares her kitchen creations through her food blog – Delalicious. She focuses on inspiring others to fuel their lives through healthy, wholesome and natural food with quick and easy recipes for all. She is currently on a year out from work and football, eating and adventuring her way around the world.
Check out her blog, www.delalicious.com for more recipe inspiration or follow her on social media for more Delalicious delights.