Rachels Swiss Roll Recipe is super tasty and looks great. A perfect treat for after dinner.
– A little melted butter
– 125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
– 4 eggs
– 125g caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp for sprinkling
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 6 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
– 200ml whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375oF), Gas mark 5.
2. Line the base of a 25 x 38cm (10 x 15in) Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, brush the base and sides of the tin with melted butter and dust with flour.
3. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until light and fluffy, then add 2 tablespoons warm water and the vanilla extract.
4. Sift in the flour, about one-third at a time, and fold it into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
5. Pour the mixture gently into the prepared Swiss roll tin and bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes until the centre of the cake is slightly springy and the edges have shrunk a little from the sides of the tin.
6. Scatter the top of the sponge with the 3 tablespoons caster sugar (this stops the roll from sticking to the paper), then place a piece of baking parchment, larger than the tin, over the top and turn out onto the paper in one quick move.
7. Remove the tin and baking parchment from the bottom of the cake.
8. Place a slightly damp, clean tea towel over the cake and leave to cool – this will prevent it drying out and cracking when you roll it.
9. When the cake is cool, spread it with jam, followed by the whipped cream (if you like). With the longest side facing you, roll up the Swiss roll away from you, then transfer to a plate to serve.
Recipe from My Mother is available to purchase from harpercollins.co.uk.