This Three in One Breakfast Recipe is a super-simple breakfast of stewed apples, Greek yogurt and toasted seeds that’s handy if you’re legging it out the door to college, work or wherever.
All the components are prepared the night before. I make a big jar of the compote on a Sunday to keep me going all week.
Serves as many as you like
Apple Compote – makes roughly one 1l jar
– 8 large cooking apples, coarsely chopped
– Pinch of cinnamon
– ½ cup (80g) of California raisins
– 2 tbsp maple syrup you can leave this out if you use eating apples instead of cooking ones
– ½ cup (70g) pumpkin seeds
– ½ cup (70g) sunflower seeds
– ½ cup (70g) flaked almonds
1. Roughly chop your apples. I like to leave the skin on for the extra fibre and less effort. Lash the chopped apple into a pot with some cinnamon, the raisins and the maple syrup.
2. Stew away over a low heat until the apples are nice and soft. Transfer to a container and allow the compote to cool before storing it in the fridge.
3. Toast the seeds and almonds in a dry pan on a medium heat. Shake them around a bit so they toast evenly. You might as well do loads and keep them in a jar for other days.
4. Spoon the compote into a bowl, top with Greek yogurt and shimmy the seeds over the top.
5. For vegan folk, coconut yogurt is an absolutely ingenious alternative. If you need a little more sweetness in your life, drizzle with maple syrup.