I couldn’t decide if I should include my tiramisu recipe in this book since it already appeared in my last one. But having asked a substantial number of Italians what their favourite Italian dessert is, the response was always the same: tiramisu. So I decided to share it once more. You will appreciate the coffee lift and the vin santo hit on a night out on the town.
Serves 8 – 10
– 2 organic or free-range eggs, separated
– 350g mascarpone
– 60g caster sugar
– 200ml cold black coffee (don’t use instant coffee – use a long espresso)
– 50ml vin santo (Tuscan dessert wine)
– 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
– 250g savoiardi (ladyfinger biscuits)
– 4 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder (60–75%)
1. Separate the egg whites and yolks. In a spotlessly clean, dry bowl, whisk the whites until stiff.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, mascarpone and caster sugar. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
3. Sweeten the coffee with the vin santo and granulated sugar. Pour the coffee into a shallow bowl. Holding the biscuits horizontally, dip them in the coffee one by one so that the bottom gets a brief dunk but the top stays dry. Work quickly so that the biscuits don’t get soggy. Discard the leftover coffee.
4. Coat the bottom of a deep-sided baking dish with a layer of the mascarpone cream, followed by a layer of savoiardi. Alternate the layers until all of the ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of the cream. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Sprinkle with the cocoa powder just before serving. Do not sprinkle the cocoa powder on top of the dessert until you’re ready to serve, otherwise it will disappear as it dissolves into the cake.
Tip: One way to use up leftover panettone is to cut it into thick fingers for using in tiramisù.
Here the table is the soul of the home – a place to come together, share food and thoughts, and spend valuable time with loved ones. Eileen’s recipes are designed to create conviviality and make every occasion a cause for celebration, whether you’re planning an annual holiday feast, a catch-up with friends or a special homecoming. Fill your home with the aroma of wonderful food, the sound of clinking glasses and happy chatter, while you create memories that you will treasure forever. To buy your copy visit www.gillmacmillanbooks.ie.