Time to Update Your Bucket List – UNESCO Announces 21 New World Heritage Sites
UNESCO has added 21 new locations to its World Heritage Sites List, and you might want to add them all to your bucket list.
With these new sites, the complete list of locations now stands at 1,073. A notable newcomer to the heritage list is the walled city of Ahmedabad in India, which dates back to the 15th century.
Also included is the English Lake District in the United Kingdom, the first national park in the UK to be listed.
UNESCO now protects more than 1,000 significant historical and cultural locations, all of which have been voted on by the World Heritage Committee.
Check out the new additions below:
1. Aphrodisias, Turkey
2. Asmara, Eritrea
3. Assumption Cathedral and Monastery of Sviyazhsk, Russia
4. Caves and ice age art in the Swabian Jura, Germany
5. Hebron/Al-Khalil Old Town, Palestine
6. Historic city of Yazd, Iran
7. Kujataa Greenland, Denmark
8. Kulangsu, China
9. Mbanza Kongo, Angola
10. Sacred Island of Okinoshima, Japan
11. Taputapuātea, center of the “Polynesian Triangle”, French Polynesia
12. Tarnowskie Góry, lead-silver-zinc mine, Poland
13. Sambor Prei Kuk temple zone, Cambodia
14. English Lake District, United Kingdom
15. Valongo Wharf, archeological site, Brazil
16. Venetian Works of Defense, Croatia, Italy, Montenegro
17. Khomani Cultural Landscape, South Africa
18. Landscapes of Dauria, Mongolia, Russia
19. Los Alerces National Park, Argentina
20. Qinghai Hoh Xil, China
21. Historic city of Ahmedabad, India