There are very few vegan chocolates you can buy easily and often they are quite expensive. This vegan salted caramel chocolate cups recipe is a real treat and they are very easy to make. I had to hide these in the freezer as the temptation to reach for another, and then another becomes too much!
I use shop bought chocolate here as raw chocolate needs to be tempered for it to not immediately melt at room temperature. What I like about these is they are quick to prepare and an easy introduction to vegan chocolate.
– 200g high quality vegan dark chocolate – minimum 70% cocoa solids
– 1/2 tsp coconut oil
– 2 tbsp almond butter
– 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
– 1 tbsp coconut milk from a can, the creamy part at the top
– 1 heaped tsp oats
– 1 pinch of sea salt
– 10 almonds, I used the Himalayan Salted Nutmost.
1. Create a double boiler by simmering water in a saucepan and placing a second pan or heat resistant bowl on top of the water.
2. Break the chocolate up and melt it in the bowl.
3. I have a silicone cupcake tray so there was no need to line it but if your’s is metal you will need to insert cupcake holders or baking paper into the tray.
4. Pour in 1 spoon of chocolate into the moulds and place the tray in the freezer to cool for at least twenty minutes.
5. Make your caramel by warming the coconut oil in a pan. Add the agave and the almond butter and stir continuously to combine. Do not taste this while it’s in the pan as it gets really hot. When combined remove from the heat and add a small pinch of salt, the coconut cream and the oats and stir to blend it all together. It should be a thick paste.
6. Remove the tray from the freezer and working quickly spoon a small 1/2 teaspoon amount onto all the chocolate cups and press down the almond into it. Top with the remaining melted chocolate and return to the fridge for at least an hour to set.
Holly White is a Fashion Journalist and Broadcaster who is passionate about style, natural beauty and plant-based eating. She regularly appears on TV3’s Six O’Clock Show and hosts cookery demos across the country to show people how easy and delicious a plant-based lifestyle can be.
You can follow all of her activity on her personal blog, www.holly.ie.