This Veggie Bean Casserole recipe is a wonderful dinner for mid week. It really warms you up after a hard days work and it’s packed full of good carbs and plenty of fibre. It’s also a great way of using up any vegetables that you have in the kitchen.
– 1 tin mixed beans, or if you have the time, dried beans that have been soaked overnight
– Mixed seasonal root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, turnip, squash and some red onions
– 1 red chilli, leave the seeds in if you want extra spice
– 1 jar good quality passata or homemade if you have the time
– Good quality cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Peel and cut the vegetables into bite size pieces, place in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 45 minutes.
3. Take the vegetable out of the oven and mix with the beans and passata over a low heat.
4. Place half of the mixture in an oven proof baking dish and top with a good handful of cheddar cheese.
5. Finish with the remaining mixture and top with more cheddar cheese
6. Return it to the oven to melt the cheese and serve immediately.
The West Waterford Festival of Food runs from the 15th-17th April 2016. For more information visit www.westwaterfordfestivaloffood.com.