Start your morning with a healthier toast, full of fibre, healthy fats, extra protein, folic acid and other nutrients. Use it for a healthier lunch sandwiches or as a plain toast with your soup.
It can be topped with avocados and poached eggs or goat’s cheese and rocket or even soft cheese and parma ham. Really, you can put whatever toppings you like on the bread.
– 200g walnuts, roughly chopped
– 2 medium raw beetroots
– 1 medium cooked beetroot
– 1/3 glass of kefir or buttermilk
– 1 small glass of warm water
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 sachet (5g) of activated yeast
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tsp salt
– 300g all-purpose flour
– 150g wholemeal flour
– Soft goat’s cheese (optional)
1. Cut beetroot (raw and cooked) into small pieces and blend until smooth and then add kefir or butter milk. Mix well until fully combined.
2. Dissolve sugar in a glass of warm water, mix, then add yeast. Leave until activated (about 5-10 mins).
3. In a big bowl, mix the flour and salt. Add activated yeast mixture, beetroot mixture, 150g walnuts and olive oil.
4. Mix with a stand mixer using dough attachment until dough is smooth and elastic. Once fully combined, leave to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
5. Place parchment paper on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and spread some semolina flour. Take the dough, knead with your hands a little and form a big loaf.
6. Place on parchment paper and leave for another 30 mins to rise. Make swirls with soft goat’s cheese (optional). Sprinkle with left over walnuts (approx 50g). Bake at 180-190C for 30-40 mins.
With a background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.