Warm Spicy Tiger Prawn Salad Recipe by Neven Maguire
This Warm Spicy Tiger Prawn Salad is absolutely packed full of flavour and uses just 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil. Cooked tiger prawns are marinated in a wonderful concoction of Asian ingredients, which almost cook the flesh. They are then flashed in a searing-hot wok just before serving – delicious.
– juice of 1 lime
– 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
– 2 tbsp light soy sauce
– 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
– 2 tsp palm sugar
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 lemongrass sticks, trimmed and very finely chopped
– 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
– 400g (14oz) cooked tiger prawns, thawed if frozen
– 1 firm, ripe avocado
– 1 small, firm, ripe mango
– 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
– 2 shallots, thinly sliced
– 100g (4oz) watercress
1. Mix the lime juice in a medium-sized bowl with the Thai fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, palm sugar, garlic, lemongrass and red chilli. Add the tiger prawns and mix well to combine, then cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. When you are almost ready to serve, cut the avocado in half, take out the stone, peel away the skin and cut the flesh into slices. Do the same with the mango.
3. Heat a wok until it’s smoking hot. Toss the spring onions and shallots into the marinating prawns, then tip the whole lot into the wok. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes, until just heated through. Be careful not to overcook.
4. Arrange the watercress on plates or use one large platter.
5. Divide the avocado and mango slices among the plates.
6. Scatter over the stir-fried prawns, drizzling over any extrabdressing left in the wok to serve.
‘The Nations Favourite Healthy Food’ is the latest book by chef Neven Maguire. Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier.
‘The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food’ is available in stores nationwide and online at nevenmaguire.com.