This Savoury Cheese & Kale Bread Pudding recipe was created by Yvonne Connolly to celebrate National Bread Week, from 9th to 15th October 2016. A savoury twist on the sweet classic pudding, you could try adding shredded ham with the vegetables for a meat option.
– 250g kale
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 onion, sliced
– 1 leek, sliced
– 7 slices white batch bread, thickly sliced
– 50g butter, softened
– 100g Irish Cheddar cheese, grated
– 3 medium eggs
– 300ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Grease a 2 litre shallow, ovenproof serving dish.
2. Cook the kale in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain well.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and leek for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the kale and season. Sprinkle half this mix into the prepared dish.
4. Spread the bread with the butter and cut in half. Overlap the bread in the dish, scattering with the remaining leek mix and half the cheese.
5. Whisk the eggs into the milk, season and pour over the bread, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Events will be taking place for National Bread Week in bakeries and stores across Ireland. Many will be offering tastings and promotions as well as events for local communities and the chance to meet the men and women responsible for Ireland’s bread. The week offers the perfect opportunity to learn more about bread – its value, versatility and the fantastic variety.
For more information visit www.nationalbreadweek.ie