Neven Maguire created this Watermelon & Barrel Aged Feta Salad Recipe with toasted pumpkin seeds using Barrel Aged Greek Feta and Sicilian DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the Simply Better range, sourced exclusively for Dunnes Stores.
To source their Simply Better Barrel Aged Greek Feta Dunnes Stores were delighted to work with the Danigelli family, a second generation Feta Cheese producer.
Produced in the Peloponnese region of Greece, the Barrel Aged Greek Feta is made using sheep and goats milk. Aged in beech barrels for a minimum of 60 days and following Greek Shepherds’ traditions the Feta is kept in brine to deliver a creamy delicate texture with a zesty, tangy flavour.
The recipe features in the first ever edition of the Simply Better COOK with Neven Maguire Magazine, which is bursting with a range of Neven’s favourite summer recipes that take advantage of the best ingredients from the Simply Better award winning collection.
Pick up a free copy at your nearest Dunnes Stores to check out the full range of recipes and share your recreations using the hashtag #COOKwithNeven.
– 120g Simply Better Barrel Aged Greek Feta
– 2 tbsp Simply Better Sicilian DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
– 1kg watermelon
– 1 tbsp green or pink peppercorns, rinsed and drained if in brine
– Handful fresh flat-leaf
– Parsley leaves
– Small handful of fresh mint leaves
– Finely grated rind & juice of 2 limes
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas Mark 4). Toast the pumpkin seeds in a small baking dish for 5-6 minutes, until lightly coloured.
2. Crack the peppercorns gently between your fingers or with the flat of a knife.
3. De-seed the watermelon and cut the flesh into medium sized chunks (discard the rind). Chop the feta into small cubes and place in a bowl with the watermelon, herbs and pumpkin seeds. Add the lime rind and juice with the olive oil and toss gently to combine.
4. Pile a mound of the watermelon and feta salad onto plates. Scatter over the peppercorns and serve chilled or at room temperature.